Blessing of the Fleet Blessing of the Fleet

Welcome to the St. Andrew's Parish Chapter

The St. Andrew's Parish Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution was organized on January 26, 1956 and confirmed on February 10, 1956.

The name St. Andrew's Parish Chapter was chosen by the Organizing Regent. St. Andrew's Parish was the name of one of the original parishes into which the Royal Province of Georgia was divided in 1758, and this parish included the town and district of Darien. The name held particuular significance to the Scottish Highlanders who settled Darien as it was the name of their patron saint in Scotland. This parish was an important area during the Revolution in that it bore and bred many brave soldiers whose names have gone down in history proclaiming their loyalty to the cause. In naming the Chapter, Margaret Hopkins, Organizing Regent, hoped to establish a living memorial to keep ever fresh the noble deeds of the past and faith in the future.

Within a year's time the Chapter received the State Award and the National Award for the largest increase in membership. The Chapter, along with the Georgia Historical Society, gave 28 bronze markers for points of historical interest in McIntosh County in March 1958.

All known Revolutionary soldiers' graves have been located and marked over the years. The Chapter received an award for organizing "Junior American Citizens," the first in Georgia. It gave financial assistance toward the restoration of Fort King George. It supported and assisted the Bicentennial Committee of Darien and McIntosh County in restoring historic city squares in Darien and the Troup Family Cemetery located with the county. A pewter tavern pitcher with the seal of England dated 1700-1720 and four pewter bowls were given as a Chapter gift to the Georgia Room in the NSDAR Museum in Washington, DC.

The Chapter compiled its history for inclusion in the printing of the State Society's History 1899-1981.

The Chapter has grown over the years. The Chapter has awarded three Conservation medals. One in 1991 to Emmie Minor for her Wildlife Rehabilitation efforts, one in 1998 to Don and Doris Cohrs for their ourstanding work in the field of ornithology, and one in 2002 to William (Bill) Merriman for his work with the Nature Conservancy to increase public awareness of the threats facing the gopher tortoise in Georgia. The prestigious DAR History Award Medal was awarded to Chapter nominee, Buddy Sullivan, noted author and county historian, on February 20, 2000.

As a Chapter, we continue to promote the objectives of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution; historic preservation, promotion of education, and patriotic endeavor. St. Andrew's Parish Chapter.